MSc Medical Microbiology
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Vaccinations, Antimicrobials and Resistance
|FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree
|Available as a free choice unit?
In order to achieve the unit aims, a variety of learning and teaching methods will be used and will include lectures, laboratory practical sessions, seminars, eLearning materials and private study.
The unit will include the following topics:
- Antimicrobial discovery (new and past discoveries)
- Antimicrobials and their modes of action
- Principles of antimicrobial resistance
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Alternatives therapies
- Principles of infection control
Introduce the students to antimicrobials and their mode of action, mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance, antimicrobial stewardship; principles of infection control and vaccination principles and policies. In addition students will also develop a practical understanding of antimicrobial sensitivity testing.
- Feedback on assignments will be given in accordance with University guidelines.
- Informal feedback on a one-one basis in practical sessions.
- Verbal feedback in seminar/tutorial sessions.
- Formal feedback at the end of the unit from students.
|Independent study hours
|Moustafa Alissa Alkhalaf