PGCE Secondary Business Education / Application and selection
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
How to apply
Advice to applicants
You must apply through DfE Apply .
Applications or CVs sent directly to the University will not be considered.
You must submit the following with your completed application form:
- contact details for two referees who can provide a written reference supporting your suitability for teaching
- a personal statement (2 sections: maximum 600 words for the 1 st question; maximum 400 words for the 2 nd question) detailing your commitment to and enthusiasm for teaching, your rationale for applying to be a teacher in your subject, an awareness of the role and responsibilities of the teacher, relevant experience suggesting suitability for the role, and a good standard of written English.
We recommend that you submit your application as soon as you are able to, once applications open. It is possible that we may need further evidence of qualifications in order to make a decision on your application, so please ensure that all relevant documents are available on request.
Before submitting your DfE application, please make sure that the information you enter regarding your qualifications is correct and accurate. We have the right to cancel your application if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks), or have reasonable belief, that your application contains false information. If you have any reason to believe that the information we hold about you is untrue, incomplete or inaccurate, you must tell us immediately.
Your application will be assessed by our admissions team and if successful, we will invite you to an online interview. All universities interview candidates for PGCE courses.
The interview process includes the following:
- an introductory talk from University lecturers;
- a personal online interview with one of our tutors and a teacher from a partnership school;
- Secondary PGCE applicants will be asked to conduct a short teaching task and complete a subject knowledge assessment.
Aptitude test requirement
Fitness to practise / health requirements
If your application is successful, we will require you to comply with a confidential health screening check as advised by the Department for Education.
Health screening will be undertaken by the Student Occupational Health Service, who will advise on any follow-up vaccinations or other intervention which may be indicated.
Disclosure and Barring Service check
If your application is successful, we will require you to comply with an enhanced check through the Disclosure and Barring Service as advised by the Department for Education.
You must also meet the University's suitability requirements for the safeguarding of children.
If you applied in the previous year and your application was not successful you may apply again. Your application will be considered against the standard course entry criteria for that year of entry. In your new application, you should demonstrate how your application has improved.
We may draw upon all information from your previous applications or any previous registrations at the University as a student when assessing your suitability for your chosen course.