PGCE Secondary Mathematics / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Academic entry qualification overview
- Minimum 2:2 honours degree in mathematics or related subjects with a 50% mathematics content.
- Applicants who do not have a substantial amount (50% minimum) of mathematics in their degree may be eligible for a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course provided they have either an A-level in mathematics at grade B or above, or grade C if they can demonstrate sustained academic progression since A-level.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics.
In addition to a grade C at GCSE in English Language, applicants whose first language is not English are required to meet the following language requirements:
- IELTS 6.5 overall, 6.5 in writing, no sub-section below 6.0, or
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 90 with a minimum score of 22 in writing and 20 in the other sub-sections, or
- Pearson PTE overall score of 62 with a minimum score of 62 in writing and 59 in the other sub-sections, or
- Cambridge CAE grade A or Cambridge CPE grade C (please note that the Cambridge First Certificate in English is not acceptable).
English language test validity
Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.
Relevant work experience
We recommend that you spend at least two days observing secondary school or sixth form teaching prior to attending an interview.
Professional entry qualification
Applicants who do not meet this criteria, but who have four years of relevant postgraduate employment or voluntary work, may be considered at the discretion of the Admissions Tutor.