PGCE Secondary Economics and Business Education / Overview
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
- Degree awarded
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- 1 year
- Entry requirements
- 2:2 honours degree or above in economics or a related subject, with a minimum of 50% content directly related to economics (if you are unsure, please contact us to discuss your qualifications).
- A strong academic record at A-level (or equivalent).
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics.
- How to apply
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
It's a real pleasure leading the PGCE Economics and Business Education courses at The University of Manchester, working with a set of colleagues with a broad range of expertise.
Teaching is the best job in the world: helping train new teachers provides a great sense of pride and inspiration especially when I visit schools and colleges, observing them teach. Our employment rates are very high and a number of our recent PGCE graduates are now mentors on the programme and run sessions on the course.Bob Hindle / Subject Lead, PGCE Secondary Economics and Business Education
- Become an outstanding secondary school Economics and Business Education teacher with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
- Enjoy extensive periods of classroom experience supported by outstanding tutors and mentors.
Look at our virtual open day content to help you learn more about the University.
You will be able to watch videos about the university, including accommodation, student finance and course-specific sessions.
We'll update our website once plans for PGCE-specific 2022 recruitment events are confirmed.
We also attend the Department for Education's virtual Train to Teach events
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2023, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK students (per annum): £9,250
International, including EU, students (per annum): £22,000
Further information for EU students can be found on our dedicated EU page.
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
For general fees information, please visit postgraduate fees
Policy on additional costs
All students should normally be able to complete their programme of study without incurring additional study costs over and above the tuition fee for that programme. Any unavoidable additional compulsory costs totalling more than 1% of the annual home undergraduate fee per annum, regardless of whether the programme in question is undergraduate or postgraduate taught, will be made clear to you at the point of application. Further information can be found in the University's Policy on additional costs incurred by students on undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes (PDF document, 91KB).
There are three types of Government funding available for teacher training:
- tax-free bursary or scholarship;
- tuition fee loan and maintenance loan;
- extra financial support if you're a parent, or have an adult dependant or a disability.
Depending on your circumstances you could receive all three. Find out more at the Department for Education website
You can find out more about the scholarships and bursaries on our funding page
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- Contact name
- Recruitment and Admissions Team
- +44 (0)161 543 4710
See: The School .
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.
Regulated by the Office for Students
The University of Manchester is regulated by the Office for Students (OfS). The OfS aims to help students succeed in Higher Education by ensuring they receive excellent information and guidance, get high quality education that prepares them for the future and by protecting their interests. More information can be found at the OfS website.
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Manchester, including our Degree Regulations and Complaints Procedure, on our regulations website.