MSc Research Methods with Education
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Developing Researcher Reflexivity
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||School of Environment, Education and Development|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This unit aims to:
- Provide an overview of currently relevant theory in the area of researcher reflexivity and examine its implications in the development of a research proposal, either based on future or existent research project.
- Based on the alternatives above:
- Provide opportunities for students to reach decisions regarding their research proposal and reflect on such decision-making process (in case the proposal is based on future research)
- Provide opportunities for students to reflect on a research project and the decisions taken along the way (in case the proposal is based on a project in which students are already involved).
- Provide opportunities for students to develop, enhance, operationalise and articulate their researcher reflexivity to their peers.
- Knowledge and understanding. On completion of this unit successful students will be able to:
- Have developed their understandings of the key concepts comprising the following literature: reflection, narrated lived experiences, researcher reflexivity, research paradigms and researcher positionality;
- Have an enhanced awareness of how researcher reflexivity informs the decisions they take whilst they develop a research proposal, either based on future or existent research project;
- Reach decisions about their proposed research project and critically reflect on such decisions or critically reflect on an existing research project they are involved in;
- Critically reflect on who they are as researchers and on the factors that influence their decision making process;
- Independent study hours
Independent study 0
Staff member Role Nahielly Beatriz Palacios Gonzalez Unit coordinator