How to apply for master's study
Once you've decided which course you want to study, you'll need to complete our online application form.
Apply for master's 2022 courses
We are now taking applications for our 2022/23 master's courses.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on what you need to do after you've chosen your master's course and how it works.
Step 1. Before you start your application
You'll be asked to set up an account which means you can save your application and come back to it at a later date. If you need help you can also watch our videos on how to create an account and how to submit an application.
Make sure that you use a personal email address when you register and not a University of Manchester address. You’ll be asked to fill in some security questions, your answers will be used if you ever lose or change your password, so we know it’s you.
Step 2. Starting your application
Once you start your application, use the left-hand navigation to move through the form, you can 'check your information' at each stage, which will:
- ask you to complete missing information or to correct formatting (such as dates);
- mark the section as 'complete';
- ask you to upload supporting documents, if needed.
Check closing dates
While lots of master’s courses do not have official closing dates, some do so you will need to check individual course pages for closing dates.
If you want to apply for funding, you need to check funding bodies' closing dates. Most bodies usually expect you to have a provisional offer from the University before you apply for a studentship, scholarship or award.
Step 3. Supporting documents
If you cannot upload supporting documents, there is often a field for you to say why so you can still submit your application; we will then give you instructions on how to add documents via an online portal, these usually include:
- evidence of qualifications (certificates or transcripts);
- evidence of English language ability, if English is not your first language (some test results are only valid for two years, your test report will need to be valid on the start date of your course);
- a research proposal, always check the department website for instructions as these vary;
- check the department website for additional requirements (for example, some courses ask for specific information in a personal statement);
- you may need two references, they will be contacted and asked to submit a reference directly to us via our referee portal. We will let you know when they have done this. Make sure your referees are aware in advance as they play a vital part in the assessment of your application.
Complete our online application form for your master's course.
After you apply
Now you've completed your form, here's what happens next.
Frequently asked questions
The application form should be easy to complete but we have some FAQs to help you:
Once you have created an account, you can start your online application.
If you have forgotten your password, you can request a temporary password to be emailed to you, and you can then set a new password.
If your password is not working, make sure it is at least ten characters long and contains one upper case, one lower case, one special character and one number. Such as Testing123%.
There is a Data Protection statement at the top of the page which relates to the information you provide as part of your application.
You can also view the wider University Data Protection statement relating to student data more broadly.
Click on the 'update' button in the address section to add or change your address.
If you move house after you have applied, you can change your address directly with us using our applicant self-service portal.
You should also inform the admissions team dealing with your application.
You need to click on the 'change country' link and select your country.
The address fields will then be formatted appropriately.
Error messages usually occur if your mandatory information is missing or if requested formats haven't been used. Please check your responses carefully.
If you can’t find the issue, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include a screenshot of the page you are having difficulty with.
You need to type in your full name exactly as you typed it when you completed the account set-up process.
If you get an error message, you may need to check what name you used when you first set your account up.
You can resolve this by copying (Ctrl + C) and pasting (Ctrl + V) your name from the 'signed-in as' section on the top left of the screen, into the signature section.