Dean's Doctoral Scholarship Awards 2021 / 2022
Type of award
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Fully funded award includes:
- Tuition fees at the international rate
- Annual maintenance stipend equivalent to UKRI minimum stipend rate
- £1000 Research Training Support Grant per year
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science
- Civil Engineering
- Coatings and Ceramics
- Computer Science
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Fashion Management and Marketing
- Imaging and Characterisation
- Management of Projects in Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy and Corrosion
- Nano and Functional Materials
- Petroleum Engineering
- Physics and Astronomy
- Polymers and Composites
- Textiles and Apparel
To be considered for this award you must:
- Hold an offer to start a PhD programme in September 2021. Candidates who don¿t yet have an academic offer should get in touch with Faculty admissions teams by 12 April 2021 to discuss how to best progress a PhD application in time for the funding deadline. See `useful links¿ for contacts. OR if you were nominated for 2020-21 Dean's Doctoral Scholarship, cancelled due to COVID-19, contact your supervisor who can put you forward for nomination.
- Hold (or be about to obtain) a first class honours undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Ideally hold a master's qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent)
This funding is available to all nationalities.
Other eligibility criteria
Applicants must hold an offer of study at The University of Manchester before applying for this funding.
Candidates must also:
- Have some research related experience. E.g. undergraduate / master's projects, placements, internships, contributions to publications / articles, promoting research or project outcomes to a wider audience, prizes for previous work or setting up collaborations with other groups.
- Be able to demonstrate involvement in broader activities e.g. outreach, volunteering, community engagement and other extra-curricular activities.
Dean's Doctoral Scholarships operate on a nomination basis. Your supervisor will nominate you for consideration by the Faculty and in order to be considered, you must hold an offer for a place on one of our PhD programmes.
It is therefore essential that you apply for a place on the PhD programme of your choice as early as possible and that you specify in the funding section of your application form that you wish to be considered for the Dean's Doctoral Scholarship funding.
Full details of our research projects can be found on the relevant Department web pages as well as information on how to apply for our PhD programmes.
The next deadline for nominations is May 2021 but you should be in contact with the Department in advance of this as they have internal processes and deadlines to follow.
All shortlisted candidates will be invited to be interviewed by the Faculty DDS Panel.
Candidates will be notified by email.
Interviews for this recruitment cycle will be conducted via Zoom.
The Faculty DDS Panel will assess interviewees based on their DDS nomination form, a short verbal presentation and interview questions.
19 April 2021
4 June 2021
Faculty interviews: Monday 10 May - Wednesday 26 May 2021
Contact details for enquiries
- Barbara Ruggeri
Teaching Learn & Students Officer (PGR)