Dean's Doctoral Scholarship Awards 2022 / 2023
Type of award
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Fully funded award includes:
- Tuition fees at the international rate
- Annual maintenance stipend equivalent to UKRI minimum stipend rate
- £1000 Research Training Support Grant per year
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science
- Civil Engineering
- Coatings and Ceramics
- Computer Science
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Fashion Management and Marketing
- Imaging and Characterisation
- Management of Projects in Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy and Corrosion
- Nano and Functional Materials
- Petroleum Engineering
- Physics and Astronomy
- Polymers and Composites
- Textiles and Apparel
To be considered for this award you must:
- Hold an offer to start a PhD programme in September 2022. Candidates who don't yet have an academic offer should get in touch with Faculty admissions team to discuss how to best progress a PhD application in time for the funding deadline. See 'useful links' for contacts.
- Hold (or be about to obtain) a first class honours undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Ideally hold a master's qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent)
This funding is available to all nationalities.
Other eligibility criteria
Applicants must hold an offer of study at The University of Manchester before applying for this funding.
Candidates must also:
- meet English language entry requirements as specified by the Department that you are applying to;
- have a track record of engaging with research. This may include contributions to publications / articles, promoting your research to a wider audience, prizes for research or project work.
We will only consider candidates who hold a formal offer for a place on one of our PhD programmes.
Dean's Doctoral Scholarships operate on a nomination basis. Your supervisor will nominate you for consideration by the Faculty and in order to be considered, you must hold an offer for a place on one of our PhD programmes.
It is therefore essential that you apply for a place on the PhD programme of your choice as early as possible and that you specify in the funding section of your application form that you wish to be considered for the Dean's Doctoral Scholarship funding.
Full details of our research projects can be found on the relevant Department web pages as well as information on how to apply for our PhD programmes.
The next deadline for nominations is 27 May 2022 but you should be in contact with the Department at least 2-3 weeks in advance of this as they have internal processes and deadlines to follow.
All shortlisted candidates will be invited to be interviewed by the Faculty DDS Panel.
Candidates will be notified by email.
Interviews for this recruitment cycle will be conducted via Zoom.
The Faculty DDS Panel will assess interviewees based on their DDS nomination form, a short verbal presentation and interview questions.
27 May 2022
To be confirmed.
Contact details for enquiries
- Sandra Kershaw
Recruitement and Admission Officer