Future of the Academy PhD Studentship (Politics) 2024 Entry
Type of award
School of Social Sciences
- Tuition fees
- An annual maintenance stipend (£18,622 per annum for 2023/24)
- A research training support grant
Please note that existing postgraduate research students cannot be considered for this funding.
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
This award is internal.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- Bachelor's (Honours) degree in a cognate subject at 2:1 or above (or overseas equivalent); and
- Master's degree in a relevant subject - with an overall average of 65% or above, a minimum mark of 65% in your dissertation and no mark below 55% (or overseas equivalent)
This funding is available to all nationalities.
Other eligibility criteria
Applicants must belong to one of two broad groups identified as under-represented in the Academy:
- Black, Asian, or minority ethnic heritage (BAME), including people of a mixed race/ethnic background;
- Low-income/lower-socio-economic background (broadly defined) or who have incurred major familial or personal financial hardship, currently or whilst growing up. This group also includes care leavers. and those who are the first generation to attend University in their family.
Your programme application must contain all necessary supporting documents and indicate in section 9 your intention to apply for the Future of the Academy Studentship.
- A 1,500 word PhD research proposal . Please state the word count on page 1 of the document.
- Copies of the academic transcript and certificate from both your Bachelor's and Master's degrees. If your Master's degree is pending, please provide an interim transcript;
- An up to date academic CV, detailing your education and qualifications; employment history; publications; and any other relevant information.
- You must nominate two academic referees (including one from your most recent institution). Your referees will be contacted directly via the Referee Portal following submission of your application form.
- International applicants must additionally provide English Language evidence (e.g IELTS).
- Academic merit and preparedness for research
- Quality and feasibility of research proposal
- Consideration of ethical responsibility
01 Dec 2023
All Future of the Academy PhD Studentship application forms must be received by 5pm, 26 February 2024.
In advance of this, you should submit your online programme application by 1 December 2023.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to enter the competition after these dates have passed.
Contact details for enquiries
- Humanities Doctoral Academy Admissions
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 1200
- Rosie Shorrocks
Deputy PGR Director and Admissions Tutor
Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 4743