PhD Economics / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Academic entry qualification overview
Streams : The 1+3 stream consists one year of PhD level teaching followed by 3 years of research. The 1+1+3 stream consists of one year of MSc teaching followed by the 1+3 stream.
High level of performance: Achieving an average of 65% in coursework with no unit marks below 55% for both UG and PG degrees as well as 65% mark for dissertation. Normally, offer holders tend to achieve much higher standards than this.
Degree Requirement : Economics degree training should be equivalent to the training given at the University of Manchester. Applicants with degree in quantitative fields other than economics will be considered on a case by case basis. We will not normally consider applicants whose previous studies have been in non-quantitative fields. Our criteria are:
- 1+1+3 Stream: High level performance in degree equivalent to BSc or MA in Economics from the University of Manchester.
- 1+3 Stream: High level performance in degree equivalent to the training in the MSc phase of our PhD programme .
Candidates whose first language is not English require one of the following certificates:
- IELTS test minimum scores - 7 overall, 7 in writing and with no further score below 6.5;
- TOEFL IBT minimum scores - 103 overall, 28 in writing and no further score below 25;
- To demonstrate that you have taken an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a majority English speaking nation
- all non-native English speaking students are required to do the English language assessment when they register in September;
- any non-native English speaking student going away for fieldwork in an overseas, non-English speaking country required to re-take the English assessment when they come back to Manchester;
- if you are eligible to do a pre-sessional English course, you will be required to successfully complete the course at the required level before you are permitted to register on your academic course.
- Other tests are accepted - please contact us for further advice.