PhD Philosophy / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Academic entry qualification overview
Candidates MUST normally have;
- Bachelor's (Honours) degree (or overseas equivalent) at 2:1 level or above in a cognate subject, and
- Normally a Master's degree at 65% overall average with minimum 65% in dissertation and with no mark below 55% (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant cognate subject, preferably one with a substantial research methods component. Transcripts will be carefully scrutinised to ensure that applicants have the required background.
- Note; due to the volume of applications received each year, and limited spaces, regrettably offers cannot be made to all applicants who satisfy the academic entry criteria.
- All applicants who pass the initial assessment stage will be interviewed before any offer is confirmed.
Candidates whose first language is not English require one of the following:
- IELTS test minimum scores - 7 overall, 7 in writing and with no further score below 6.5;
- TOEFL IBT minimum scores - 103 overall, 28 in writing and no further score below 25;
- To demonstrate that you have taken an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a majority English speaking nation within the last 5 years.
- Other tests may be considered - please contact us for advice.
- All non-native English speaking students are required to do the English language assessment when they register in September.
- Any non-native English speaking student going away for fieldwork in an overseas, non-English speaking country are required to re-take the English assessment when they come back to Manchester.
- All non UK non-native English speaking applicants must have obtained the minimum IELTS or TOEFL score in order to obtain a CAS for their visa.
- Scores are valid for 2 years.
Please note that CAS statements are issued only when all conditions of the offer have been satisfied, a PDF copy of your passport received and the offer accepted.