PhD Social Anthropology / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Academic entry qualification overview
- A First or Upper Second class Bachelor's degree in a cognate subject (or its international equivalent).
- A Master's degree in anthropology with minimum 65% in the dissertation and overall average of 65%, and no mark below 55% (or overseas equivalent).
Candidates whose first language is not English require one of the following certificates:
- IELTS test minimum scores - 7 overall, 7 writing, 6.5 other sections;
- TOEFL (internet based) test minimum scores - 103 overall, 28 writing, and 25 in other sections.
- Other tests may be considered - please contact us for advice
Any non-native English speaking student going away for fieldwork in an overseas, non-English speaking country may be required to re-take the English assessment when they come back to Manchester.
Pre-Sessional English Courses
If you are eligible to do a pre-sessional English course (either 6 weeks or 10 weeks), you will need to successfully complete the course at the required level before you are permitted to register on your academic course.
The dates and fees for next summer (2021) are available on the English Language Centre's website.