PhD Music (Composition) / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2020
- View tabs
- View full page
Academic entry qualification overview
- A Bachelors (Honours) degree at 2:1 level or above (or its international equivalent) in a related subject; and
- A UK Master's degree with an overall average of 65% or higher, with a minimum of 65% in the dissertation/portfolio and with no mark below 55% (or its international equivalent) in Music or a related subject.
- Any strong, relevant work experience will be considered on a case by case basis.
Students whose first language is not English require one of the following:
- an overall IELTS score of 7.0 with 7.0 in the writing component, or
- a TOEFL score of 600 paper-based test or 100 internet-based test, or
- a Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 70 overall with 70 in the writing component, or
- an overall Trinity Integrated Skills in English (ISE) III grade of Merit with Merit in the writing component.
While the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures' entry requirement for IELTS is 7.0 with 7.0 in the writing component, applicants may be admitted to the Composition/Electro-Acoustic Composition PhD with an overall IELTS score of 6.5 with 6.5 in the writing component.
Please note that students admitted with the lower score will be required to take the in-sessional English courses offered by the University Language Centre in their first year.