PhD/MPhil Drug Design, Development & Delivery / Programme details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Our PhD/MPhil Drug Design, Development and Delivery programme enables you to undertake a research project that will improve understanding of Drug Design, Development and Delivery.
Research and postgraduate study in the area of drug design, development and delivery can focus on the design of novel therapeutic drugs and new delivery approaches.
Multidisciplinary research areas include the following.
- Molecular modeling and medicinal chemistry-based design, synthesis, evaluation and delivery of novel anti-microbial, anti-malarial, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Design of new formulations to improve drug stability (stroke treatment), development of lipid-based nanocarriers and new excipients to improve drug delivery (tuberculosis treatment) and penetration of anti-amyloid drugs across the blood-brain barrier.
- Modification of the behaviour of large bioactive molecules (eg peptides, proteins and plasmids) and analysis of delivery by image correlation spectroscopy.
- We also study the ability of targeted liposomes to selectively deliver agents to the placenta and are using an in silico approach to optimise placental homing peptide function.
- Design and synthesis of novel graphene-based drug delivery systems.
All of our postgraduate research students attend the Doctoral Academy Training Programme delivered by the Centre for Academic and Researcher Development (CARD).
The programme provides key transferable skills in areas such as commercial awareness, academic writing and public engagement. This training equips our postgraduates with the tools to progress beyond their research degree into influential positions within academia, industry and consultancy.
The emphasis is on enhancing skills critical to developing early-stage researchers and professionals, whether they relate to effective communication, disseminating research findings and project management skills.
See the training and development page for more information.
Teaching and learning
Applicants are specifically matched with a Primary Supervisor and individual project based on their research interests and background.
International applicants interested in this research area can also consider the our PhD programme with integrated teaching certificate .
This unique programme will enable you to gain a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning, whilst also carrying out independent research on your chosen project.
Scholarships and bursaries
Funded programmes and projects are promoted throughout the year. Funding is available through UK Research Councils, charities and industry. We also have other internal awards and scholarships for the most outstanding applicants from within the UK and overseas (including EU nationals).