PhD/MPhil Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences / Programme details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Our PhD/MPhil Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences programme enables you to undertake a research project that will improve understanding of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Our areas of research within pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences include:
- development of novel nucleic acid-based diagnostics and therapeutics;
- modelling and simulation of pharmacokinetics, drug-drug interactions and pharmacodynamics in healthy virtual populations;
- modelling and simulation of pharmacokinetics, drug-drug interactions and pharmacodynamics in patient populations;
- analysis of inter-individual variability in drug metabolizing enzyme activity;
- optimal design of early phase clinical trials with new therapies and drug combinations;
- applications of systems biology approach to prediction of drug absorption, distribution and Elimination;
- extrapolation of in vitro data to predict in vivo pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics;
- applications of PKPD in drug development and therapeutics, particularly endocrinology, drug abuse, and paediatric pharmacology.
All of our postgraduate research students attend the Doctoral Academy Training Programme delivered by the Centre for Academic and Researcher Development (CARD).
The programme provides key transferable skills in areas such as commercial awareness, academic writing and public engagement. This training equips our postgraduates with the tools to progress beyond their research degree into influential positions within academia, industry and consultancy.
The emphasis is on enhancing skills critical to developing early-stage researchers and professionals, whether they relate to effective communication, disseminating research findings and project management skills.
See the training and development page for more information.
Teaching and learning
Applicants are specifically matched with a Primary Supervisor and individual project based on their research interests and background.
International applicants interested in this research area can also consider the our PhD programme with integrated teaching certificate .
This unique programme will enable you to gain a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning, whilst also carrying out independent research on your chosen project.
Scholarships and bursaries
Funded programmes and projects are promoted throughout the year. Funding is available through UK Research Councils, charities and industry. We also have other internal awards and scholarships for the most outstanding applicants from within the UK and overseas (including EU nationals).