EngD Software Systems Engineering / Application and selection
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
How to apply
You should include details of your previous study, your research project title and the name of the academic member of staff you would like to supervise your research.
We strongly recommend that you make contact with your proposed supervisor before submitting an application.
Advice to applicants
We require the following documents before we can consider your application.
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts of previous university study. If your transcripts and certificates are in a language other than English, you must provide an official translation.
- CV summarising your academic record and highlighting experience that demonstrates your capacity to conduct research. You must include the following:
- Work experience
- Any prizes/competitions that you have won for your academic work
- Experience of presenting your work at conferences/during your degree and list any research you have published
- Details of your final year undergraduate project work and if appropriate your MSc project work
- Service and leadership (in any domain including extra curricula)
- Community activity (hackathons, societies etc)
- Teaching or training experience (including peer support and extra curricula)
- Soft skills: creativity, ability to work without constant supervision, good time management.
- Research Proposal outlining your research project. You must include the following:
- Explain the importance of your research in the context of current knowledge
- Clearly identify the objectives of the research
- Literature review
- Explain the methodology to be employed
- Two academic letters of reference provided by people who have knowledge of your academic ability. These should be on University headed paper and must be signed and dated within two years. These can be scanned and uploaded when you apply or emailed to EngDfirstname.lastname@example.org . We do not request references on an applicant's behalf and it is your responsibility to ensure your referees know how to provide your reference to us.
If English is not your first language, we also require proof of your English language ability. If you have already taken an English language qualification, please include your certificate with your application.
This information will also be used to shortlist you for funding interview if appropriate; you should therefore ensure that you address all requirements as outlined above.
How your application is considered
We consider your full academic history including which course units you have taken and the marks obtained. Even if you have met our minimum entry requirements, we will take into account your marks in relevant undergraduate and postgraduate taught course units in our final decision making.
We will also consider the information contained on your CV to see if you have sufficient relevant work experience to able to fulfil the entry criteria.
Overseas (non-UK) applicants
Please upload a copy of your current valid passport with your application showing the photograph page with your application. For CAS purposes, this must show your full name, date of birth, nationality, passport number and the date the passport is valid until, which must be later than the date of your planned arrival in the UK, and the start date of your course.
If you have previously studied in the UK on a Tier 4 visa as an undergraduate or postgraduate student, please send a copy of your previous CAS statement to us as it will assist with the issue of your new CAS statement. This includes study in the UK on study abroad programmes and any study that you did not complete.
You cannot use your CAS to apply for a visa more than three months before the start date of your course. The Admissions Team will contact you at the appropriate time.
Your CAS number is only valid for one Tier 4 application.