Art History and Visual Studies
Academic staff: 17
Research postgraduates: 29
The postgraduate research programmes in Art History and Visual Studies draw on the expertise of academic staff covering art history from the ancient world to the present day, with a wide range of geographical specialisms.
As a postgraduate student here you are fully integrated into a vibrant and stimulating research culture.
You benefit from excellent collections within the University, including:
- A slide library of 350,000 slides
- The outstanding holdings of the Whitworth Art Gallery: fine and applied art from the eighteenth century onwards
- The renowned collection of medieval illuminated books in the Rylands Library, Deansgate
- The Egyptian and Classical antiquities of the Manchester Museum
- Major gallery and museum collections within the city and region
- Art History and Visual Studies PhD (3 or 6 years)
- Arts and Cultural Management PhD (3 or 6 years)
- Arts Management and Cultural Policy PhD (3 or 6 years)
- Museology PhD (3 or 6 years)
- Museum Practice PhD (3 or 6 years)