Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Academic staff: 74
Research postgraduates: 210
Research income: Over £8m per year (average)
REF 2014: 93% of our is research regarded as world-leading / internationally excellent
We have the following six research groups covering all aspects of research in the subject area:
- Control Systems
- Electrical Energy and Power Systems
- Microelectronics and Nanostructures
- Microwave and Communication Systems
- Power Conversion
- Sensing, Imaging and Signal Processing
The School has performed very well in the national audit of research excellence called the Research Excellence Framework (REF). For the first time this has included an assessment of research impact and we were ranked in the top three of all institutions in our discipline for this - a clear indication of the importance and relevance of our research.
Overall, on REF criteria based on research power - a measure of quality times the size of submission – we ranked 4th in our discipline.
This excellence is confirmed by our collaborations with companies such as Rolls-Royce, BP, National Grid, Syngenta, Oxford Instruments, EDF, National Instruments, Agilent, BT, HMGCC, Nexia, Rapiscan Systems and the European Space Agency.
For more information on postgraduate research study in the School visit our website.
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MPhil (1 or 2 years)
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering PhD (3 or 6 years)
- Power Networks CDT PhD (4 years)