Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work
The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work formed a key part of the unit of assessment (Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy) judged to be number one of the 94 submissions across the UK in the REF (Research Excellence Framework). REF measures overall research performance including outputs, environment and impact.
Studying for a PhD/MPhil with us will give you the opportunity to work with internationally renowned scholars engaged in innovative research that will make a difference to people’s lives and to health and social care services.
We welcome students from all health and social science disciplines who are interested in conducting research related to the School’s research programme.
We are part of the Economic and Social Research Centre (ESRC) North West Doctoral Training Centre and regularly host National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Doctoral Fellows. We attract UK and international students, with around 65 students registered for PhD/MPhil degrees.
Students graduating from the School are in very high demand, with many assuming leadership roles in health and social care research, higher education, practice and management.
The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work is based in a state-of-the-art building housing seminar rooms, IT facilities, clinical and interpersonal skills laboratories, and lecture theatres. PhD/MPhil students have a dedicated office with the latest computer equipment and a social area.
- Health Economics PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Health Informatics PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Health Services Research PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Mental Health PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Midwifery PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Midwifery 4yr PhD PhD (4 years)
- Nursing PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Nursing 4yr PhD PhD (4 years)
- Paediatric Sciences PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Primary Care Research PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Social Work PhD/MPhil (3 years)
- Social Work 4yr PhD PhD (4 years)