Our research community
We support a varied and multicultural postgraduate research community.
We do this through encouraging student representation, dedicated postgraduate research facilities across campus, social responsibility and public engagement opportunities, and local activities within your academic School/Department.
As part of your development as a researcher here, we'll encourage you to raise your profile and network within your own research community, in Manchester and beyond.
Our students regularly organise and schedule their own conferences and poster days, and there are regular events such as research seminars and PhD showcases that provide ample opportunity to get involved. The Careers Service runs a successful mentoring programme that is always looking for volunteers and, once you leave the University, our Alumni office can help you keep in touch with our postgraduate research community.
Exciting and important research is taking place right across the spectrum of University activities. With investment from research councils, we are home to research institutes, and postgraduate researchers play an important role in the innovative research that takes place in them.
You’ll also have opportunities to meet other researchers and share your work with a varied audience, such as:
- induction events to welcome you to our community;
- contact with supervisors who will orientate you and encourage you to network within your own discipline and beyond;
- seminars, conferences and Faculty events offering you the opportunity to focus your research ideas and meet new people.
Activities in our postgraduate research community
If you know the School/Department or Faculty you are interested in studying in, please go directly to their website:
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
- Department of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science
- methods@manchester (Faculty of Humanities)
- artsmethods@manchester (Faculty of Humanities)
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- Manchester Anthropology (Facebook page)
- Language Teacher Education Doctoral blog
Alternatively, you can search for specific programmes in our postgraduate programme listings.
Manchester Doctoral College has responded to an open letter from PGRs to the University's Senior Leadership Team. Download their response. (PDF, 131KB).