- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Linguistics and Portuguese / Course details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Portuguese Language 1
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||Spanish, Portuguese and Latin|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This course unit is designed as an introduction to the Portuguese Language. It aims to provide students with intensive teaching in the basics of Portuguese grammar and syntax. Strong emphasis is placed on both spoken and written language. It also aims to develop the students’ basic writing, oral and comprehension skills in the Portuguese language, through a range of written, communicative and practical exercises. The course aims to develop the students’ basic writing, oral and comprehension skills in the Portuguese language, through a range of written, communicative and practical exercises.
Only open to level 1 Portuguese students.
- to provide students with materials leading to the acquisition of a solid understanding of Portuguese grammar and syntax;
- to enable students to communicate adequately in Portuguese through a range of written, oral, and comprehension exercises;
- to enrich the understanding of the language through the study of oral and written texts of different speech genres.
- Active and passive knowledge of the basic grammar structures of the Portuguese language
- An ability to communicate effectively in written and oral Portuguese.
Teaching and learning methods
Knowledge and understanding
- Passive and active knowledge of basic grammatical structures of the Portuguese language.
- An awareness of and responsiveness to the nature and extent of cultural diversity in the Lusophone world.
- The ability to understand and produce texts of different speech genres, through the use of knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and basic cultural awareness.
- The ability to develop powers of analysis and use them to solve problems.
- The ability of working independently on a portfolio.
- Decision making
- An ability to communicate in written and oral Portuguese.
- The ability to manage time and work to deadlines.
- The ability to participate in pair and team work.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Communication and presentation skills, both oral and written through presentations and teamwork.
- Self-management and study skills, including learning how to learn through self-reflection activities and self-evaluation.
- Role adaptability.
- Computer literacy.
- Generally, communications skills are developed through frequent presentations and teamwork, self-management skills are promoted through independent work, creation of a language portfolio, problem-solving skills through translation and role-plays, and IT skills through web and computer assisted language learning.
Students will regularly receive individual written feedback on completed and marked assignments and oral presentations plus face-to-face discussion if desired. Besides, the tutor will provide in-class comments on homework, presentations and other exercises.
Additionally, global feedback (delivered orally in class/posted to Blackboard/as a handout) on frequent errors or omissions will be provided to the whole class to indicate problem areas and allow questions and discussion.
Finally, the collaborative group work and pair work used in these classes to practise presented language also facilitates peer feedback.
Summative feedback on Semester 1 examination will be given in the form of the mark given and/or a general description on how the group of students performed in the exam.
Anna M. Klobucka, et al., Ponto de Encontro. Portuguese as a World Language (London: Prentice Hall, 2007)
Language handouts to be provided in class.
Amélia Hutchinson and Janet Lloyd, Portuguese: an Essential Grammar (London: Routledge, 1996).
R.C. Willis, Essential Course in Portuguese (Any edition)
Dictionaries: Collins, Oxford or Novo Michaelis
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Jose Peixoto Coelho De Souza||Unit coordinator|