- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Russian Studies
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||Russian & E. European Studies|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
This course aims to give absolute beginners in the language a basic knowledge of reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work, and via studio-recorded and authentic texts.
Pre-requisite: This unit is suitable for those who have never studied Polish before.
Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure. This course is for beginners to the language only.
FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION, INCLUDING 'HOW TO APPLY', SEE
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- read short simple texts and find specific information;
- communicate in simple, routine situations;
- write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1 of the Common European Framework.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities;
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Iwona Stempek, Anna Stelmach, Sylwia Dawidek, Aneta Szymkiewicz, Krok po kroku. Polski. Seria podr¿czników do nauki j¿zyka polskiego dla obcokrajowców. Poziom A1/ A2, Kraków 2013, ISBN: 978-83-930731-0-8.
Basic Polish. A Grammar and Workbook by Dana Bielec, Routledge 2008, ISBN-10: 0415224373; ISBN-13: 978-0415224376
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Orieb Masadeh-Tate||Unit coordinator|