BEng Civil Engineering / Course details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Project Management (Civil)
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Civil Engineering Division L5|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The course unit addresses issues associated with managing projects in a construction business environment. As well as learning project management techniques and their application, students will gain an appreciation of strategic and organisational issues through a Computer-based assignment. The course unit runs over twelve weeks and students attend structured lectures on specific topics of planning and control, estimating techniques and business management.
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
|Civil Engineering Practice||MACE12112||Pre-Requisite||Compulsory|
1) Introduce students to the context of managing projects within a construction business environment through use of an online Computer-based assignment tool and lectures.
2) Develop an understanding of the bidding process in the construction industry and the cost drivers of projects.
3) Develop an understanding of the application of project planning concepts and techniques.
4) Demonstrate the importance of project monitoring and control and the need to adapt and revise the project plan due to changing circumstances.
5) Explain how engineering relates to other areas of the business including marketing, commercial department, finance, human resources and operations management.
Project Planning and Control
- Introduction to the Project lifecycle
- Business Strategy and Project Selection
- Professional Associations and standards for project management
- Defining the Project Scope
- Investment Appraisal Techniques
- Work Breakdown Structures and the link to project control
- Project planning techniques: Gantt Charts, Critical Path Method, Network analysis
- Resource Scheduling - Resource levelling and smoothing
- The project control process
- Monitoring time performance
- Development of an Earned Value Cost/Schedule system
Projects in a Commercial Environment
Estimating Project Time and Cost
- Factors affecting the quality of estimates
- Estimating Methods
- Accuracy and refining estimates
- Types of cost
In-class feedback on tests
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Callum Kidd||Unit coordinator|