MEng Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Experience / Course details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 3|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||Civil Engineering Division L5|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Students select and develop a project from a wide range of proposed engineering, management, and environmental topics. In consultation with the Project Supervisor, the initial short topic description is developed during the first semester into a full programme of investigation and analysis that will be conducted over the academic year.
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates
1. Use a combination of general and specialist engineering knowledge and understanding to optimise the application of existing and emerging technology.
2. Apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to the analysis and solution of engineering problems.
3. Provide technical and commercial leadership.
4. Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills.
5. Demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the environment.
The project runs over both semesters during which students attend weekly meetings either with their peer group or individually with their supervisor. The group meetings will be used to discuss research-related issues that will enable students to develop key skills such as planning a project workload, writing a literature review, developing a methodology appropriate to the research being undertaken, how to develop a project poster, and how to write a project proposal and final report. Individual meetings with research supervisors will be used for students to discuss various topics such as project progress and to resolve any issues that might have arisen as well as obtaining formative feedback.
Other - project proposal
Project Proposal - written and oral feedback provided by supervisor in Semester 1 Week 12
Poster - At presentation and by supervisor meeting following
Final report - written feedback after marking is complete
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Olivier Allegre||Unit coordinator|