- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Management (Human Resources) with Industrial/Professional Experience
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Supply Chain Management: Logistics and Purchasing
|Unit level||Level 3|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Faculty of Humanities|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Welcome to Supply Chain Management! This course is designed to teach students about the latest supply chain management practices used by leading firms around the world. The course aims to train students in the different management practices used across the entire supply chain from logistics strategy and transportation planning to supplier relationship management and JIT kanban systems. Consequently, the first half of the course will focus on logistics management including topics on logistics strategy, logistics networks, warehouse management, transportation planning, and global logistics. Next, the second half of the course will be dedicated to purchasing management and will comprise of topics focused on the make-or-buy decision, supplier selection, supplier relationship management, supplier development, supplier involvement in NPD, commodity buying, lean supply chain management, JIT kanban systems, and Value Stream Mapping (VSM). In particular, this course focuses on the practical skills that logistics managers and purchasing professionals use to improve their supply chains.
Teaching and learning methods
- Individual report: 3,000 word individual written report on Logistics Management (50%)
- Written Examination: Two hour exam focusing on Purchasing Management (50%)
- In-class feedback: Advice during lectures and in-class discussions related to student questions and queries.
- Group project: Students will receive detailed written feedback on their group project that focuses on logistics management.
- Email feedback: Responses to student emails and questions from the course coordinator, including feedback provided via the Blackboard system.
- Exam performance feedback: Generic feedback posted on Blackboard regarding overall examination performance.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||2|
|Independent study hours|
|Raymond Obayi||Unit coordinator|
|Antony Potter||Unit coordinator|
Programme Restrictions: Only available to BSc Management and Management (Specialisms), BSc International Management with American Business Studies, BSc International Management and ITMB.
For Academic Year 2021/22
Updated: March 2021
Approved by: March UG Committee