- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Fashion Management / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 4|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Department of Materials|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This unit provides an introduction to the principles of fashion marketing providing a foundation of understanding. The unit will introduce students to the concept of fashion marketing with focus on the unique aspects of fashion marketing and the structure of the market and sector.
The unit aims to:
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of fashion marketing through the examination of the micro and macro market analysis.
- Develop understanding of the importance of the identification and segmentation of the consumer in fashion marketing.
- Introduce the theory of fashion marketing with particular emphasis on the marketing mix (the 4Ps).
A greater depth of the learning outcomes are covered in the following sections:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Intellectual skills
- Practical skills
- Transferable skills and personal qualities
Teaching and learning methods
This unit will make use of a variety of learning and teaching processes including lectures, discussions, group activities and independent study. Blackboard will be used to present lecture notes, guided reading, articles, and other information. Blackboard may also be utilised for assessment using Turnitin.
Knowledge and understanding
Students will be able to:
- Describe and discuss the fashion marketing mix and
- Recognise the importance of the role of the consumer in fashion marketing.
- Describe the fashion market in terms of its structure and environment.
- Identify and describe key fashion marketing theories
- Locate and relate key industry reports and data relating to the fashion market
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Arrange material and data from a variety of sources to a professional standard
Feedback given both orally and written.
- Jackson, T. and Shaw, D. (2009). Mastering Fashion Marketing. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kotler, P. and Armstrong, G. (2018). Principles of marketing. Seventeenth edition. Hoboken: Pearson Higher Education.
- Lea Greenwood, G. (2012). Fashion Marketing Communications. John Wiley and Sons.
- Posner, H. (2011). Marketing fashion. London: Laurence King.
Recommended Academic Journal:
- Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management (search journal homepage for the most recent academic papers in the field)
- Business of Fashion (www.businessoffashion.com)
- Drapers (access via library website)
- Mintel (access via library website)
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Fiona Velez-Colby||Unit coordinator|