- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Polymers / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 7|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Department of Materials|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The unit covers a number of ‘soft’ polymer systems, providing an understanding of the underlying principles.
The unit aims to:
1. Primarily, to provide an understanding of the principles underlying the behaviour of soft matter: polymer biomaterials, colloids and elastomers.
2. Provide an overview of the properties and applications of polymer biomaterials, colloids and elastomers.
A greater depth of the learning outcomes will be covered in the following sections:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Intellectual skills
- Practical skills
- Transferable skills and personal qualities
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, group tutorials (problem sessions), recommended textbooks, web resources, past exam papers, electronic supporting information (Blackboard).
Knowledge and understanding
- Understand the underlying physics and chemistry in a range of polymer soft matter systems.
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of polymer soft matter systems.
- Describe the types and the classifications of liquid and Polymer crystals.
- Understand the thermodynamics of elastic chains and be familiar with the methods for the characterisation of networks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of colloids and surfaces in biomaterials science.
- Describe DLVO theory and use this to predict conditions where adsorption of proteins and bacteria by biomaterial surfaces will occur.
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of how polymeric materials are used
- Knowledge of the applications and commercial limitations of soft polymer systems.
- Describe the structure of liquid and polymer foams.
- Describe the structure of biological cell membranes
- Show improved logical reasoning, problem solving and ability in applied mathematics.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of polymeric network.
- Explain the three mechanisms for the transport of substances through cell membranes.
- Explain the difference between Wet and Dry liquid foams.
- Explain the factors that influence the order parameters in polymer liquid crystals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of self-assembly
- Explain the relationships between the structure and properties of hydrogels.
- Knowledge of the applications and commercial limitations of hydrogel systems.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Solve problems utilising appropriate methods.
- Assess results critically.
- Communicate results reliably and effectively.
- Compose simple technical reports on laboratory tests.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||30%|
Feedback given (Written and verbal).
- Principles of Tissue Engineering 3rd Edition, R Lanza, R Langer and J Vacanti.
- Biomaterials: an introduction, 3rd Edition, J Park and RS Lakes; Springer 2007.
- Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine, 3 editions, BD Ratner et al.
Additional items will be provided through Blackboard
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Alberto Saiani||Unit coordinator|