- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Corrosion
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Computing & Communication
|Unit level||Level 4|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Department of Materials|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The unit provides a basic introduction into Materials Science and Engineering, followed by the development of practical skills such as scientific report writing, computing, experimental analysis, design problems and group work.
- Introduce students to materials science as a science and engineering discipline;
- Introduce transferable computational skills required for general scientific enquiry and some specific to the materials discipline.
- Reinforce essential experimental skills for Materials Scientists.
- Develop good practice in the communication of scientific ideas via reports and presentations.
- Introduce students to the university’s systems for accessing scientific literature and referencing and develop an awareness of academic malpractice.
- Develop analytical skills to analyse and draw critical conclusions from an experiment based on logical arguments from your own observations, previous literature and a knowledge of the accuracy and precision of the methods.
- Encourage self-motivation through group work and student-led learning.
A greater depth of the learning outcomes will be covered in the following sections:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Intellectual skills
- Practical skills
- Transferable skills and personal qualities
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, labs demonstration, tutorials, computer-based exercises.
Knowledge and understanding
- Show an awareness of breadth of materials and biomedical materials science
- Demonstrate an understanding of experimental design
- Understand simple programming concepts like variable assignment and iteration
- Demonstrate an understanding of error handling
- Knowledge of academic malpractice and ethics
- Demonstrate awareness of significance of measurement errors
- Develop the ability to plan a solution to a technical/scientific problem using computation
- Learn to assess, analyse and evaluate data
- Proficiency with library and information sources.
- Know how to use Jupyter notebook and Python to analyse and visualise data and carry out simple analysis
- Develop and execute simple routines using Python
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Prepare technical reports
- Obtain and interpret information from differing media/sources
- Gain an awareness of team roles and responsibilities
- Conduct group and individual projects
- Present technical/scientific information effectively
|Written assignment (inc essay)||100%|
Feedback given (written)
Engineering materials 1: an introduction to properties, applications and design” M.F. Ashby and D.R.H. Jones, 2005.
“Materials science and engineering” W.D. Callister, 2011.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Kun Yan||Unit coordinator|