- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MSci Medical Physiology
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
MSci Research Project
|Unit level||Level 4|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||School of Biological Sciences|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Students will complete a seven month laboratory project during which they will comprehensively test the hypothesis described within their research project proposal. This will require multiple experimental approaches using current methods, data analysis, and the interpretation of the results to determine whether the proposed hypothesis is correct. Students will also be expected to present their results in the format of a scientific talk, meeting abstract, poster presentation and a report in the format of a journal appropriate to their degree programme.
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
|MSci Research Project Proposal||BIOL33000||Pre-Requisite||Compulsory|
|MSci Experimental Skills Module||BIOL33012||Pre-Requisite||Compulsory|
Teaching and learning methods
Knowledge and understanding
- Analyse complex biological processes at cellular, whole organism or ecosystem levels to generate novel and timely hypotheses
- Design experimental approaches to address these hypotheses.
- Design and interpret complex experiments, using diverse experimental approaches.
- Interpret multiple lines of evidence to test a hypothesis.
- Acquire experience of current life science methodologies appropriate to their degree programme.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Work as part of research group.
- Problem solve.
- Present data as a scientific talk, meeting abstract, poster presentation and manuscript.
- Project manage (time management, planning, meeting deadlines and milestones, addressing challenges, producing deliverables)
|Project output (not diss/n)||50%|
|Assessment task||Length||How and when feedback is provided||Weighting within unit|
|Scientific talk||10 minutes + 5 minutes for questions||Verbal feedback and comments form after the talk||10%|
|Meeting abstract||150 words||Annotated comments via Grademark within 15 working days of submission||5%|
|Poster Presentation||A1 poster||Annotated comments via Grademark within 15 working days of submission||20%|
|Project performance||Project supervisor||15%|
|Project report in the format of an appropriate journal||25 pages||Annotated comments via Grademark||50%|
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Eileithyia Swanton||Unit coordinator|