- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Mathematics / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Managing My Future
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Department of Mathematics|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
A full day workshop in week 0 in semester 1. The session mostly follows group work principles, i.e. after an introductory talk where some insights will be given by alumni, the students divide into smaller groups and work through a number of various tasks designed to get you thinking about the different skills needed in the work place and to practice an assessment centre style exercise.
A final session will bring together what has been covered in the day and sign post the students regarding what they can do next.
- To find out what skills employers want from maths graduates.
- Gain insight into what might interest you in the work place and the careers that might sit alongside those interests.
- Practice and develop employability skills through interactive case studies and group exercises.
- Gain insight into graduate recruitment practices.
On successful completion of the course unit students will
- have learnt about a range of work related skill sets and how these may combine in certain careers,
- have reflected on how they fit in with this,
- have improved their group work skills by working in small groups,
- have improved their listening and communication skills by providing feedback throughout the day,
- have looked at the range of career areas open to maths graduates.
Workshop to develop transferable skills relating to the work place.
Teaching and learning methods
Introductory lecture followed by group work activities and a final session to wrap things up.
This module is zero credit rating.
The workshops will provide an opportunity for students' work to be discussed and provide feedback on their understanding.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Practical classes & workshops||5|
|Penney Gordon-Lanes||Unit coordinator|
|Jonathan Ferns||Unit coordinator|
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact.
Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates