- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BEng Mechanical Engineering / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Engineering mechanics is both a foundation and a framework for most of the branches of engineering. The majority of the topics in mechanical and aerospace engineering are based upon this subject. Thus, the theme is critical to the engineering curriculum. The course serves to solidify the student’s understanding of applied mathematics and physics and provides settings to strengthen students' problem-solving abilities.
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates
• To equip students with the knowledge and skills required to develop and solve mathematical models of simple dynamical systems.
• To enable students to apply fundamental mechanical principles to break down, simplify and analyse the behaviour of complex systems met in later modules of their engineering course.
1) Kinematics: velocity and acceleration; multidimensional motion in Cartesian and polar coordinates; motion under gravity in 2 dimensions; variable acceleration.
(2) Momentum: laws of motion in force-momentum, impulse-momentum and energy forms; conservation of momentum; direct and oblique collisions; friction; extended objects; centre of mass.
(3) Energy: definitions of kinetic energy, work, power, efficiency; Mechanical Energy Principle; conservative and non-conservative forces; gravitational and elastic potential energy; virtual work and potential-energy criterion for equilibrium.
(4) Rigid body dynamics: rotational kinematics; rotational dynamics; moments of inertia; combined rotation and translation
|Practical skills assessment||5%|
Exam and coursework feedback is communicated via Blackboard.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Roohoolamin Darvizeh||Unit coordinator|