- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Planning and Real Estate / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This course unit provides you with the opportunity to gain practical experience working with an organisation relevant to your degree. It can be undertaken at any point during the second year of the degree but must be completed by end of July of your second Year.
- To explore the professional world of your specialism - environmental management, planning, real estate.
- To undertake practical work in the field with an employer in your specialism.
- To develop specialised knowledge within a specific area of environmental management or planning or real estate practice.
- To gain specialist skills appropriate to your chosen specialism.
To gain personal transferable skills in the world of work.
OUTLINE OF CONTENT
SEM 1 – WK 1 - Introduction
SEM 1 – WK 3 - Finding a placement, expectations and assignment; general introduction followed by specific sessions with relevant placement coordinator
SEM 1 – WK 6/7 - Progress review with coordinators
SEM 2 – WK 10 - Progress review with coordinators
SEM 2 - WK -2 - Finalising the placement – see relevant coordinator
SEM 2- WK 9 - Assignments workshop
Students undertaking their placement during the Summer should maintain regular contact with their relevant Placement Coordinator for guidance.
Teaching and learning methods
The course unit will be ‘taught’ through online seminars, individual discussions between the student and the course unit director and/or relevant placement coordinators throughout the placement.
Knowledge and understanding
Have gained knowledge and experience of their relevant professional discipline.
Be able to undertake a programme of work set by a client provider organisation.
Be able to critically analyse the placement organisation and provide a clear synthesis of strengths and weaknesses with recommendations.
Be able to write an appraisal of the operation of an environmental management or planning or real estate provider organisation, based on personal experience and data gathered.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
Work effectively with a range of other personnel in the workplace.
Write a personal evaluation reflecting on the experience and present evidence of achievements.
- Analytical skills
- You will gain a range of employability skills during your placement Other skills gained will depend on the type of organisation you work with and the activities that you engage in during your time with organisation.
- Group/team working
- Oral communication
- Problem solving
- Appraisal Report of Placement Organisation, or piece of work undertaken for organisation (50%)
- Placement Reflection Report (20%)
External Assessment of student by Placement Organisation (30%)
We will provide formative feedback through advice at the key stages throughout the course unit and during the placement. Summative feedback will be provided where this contributes to your overall mark.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Carys Jones||Unit coordinator|
|Mark Shepherd||Unit coordinator|
|Robert Dockerill||Unit coordinator|