Apply through UCAS
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BEng/MEng Electrical, Electronic & Mechatronic Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Waves and Particles Phys 3
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Faculty of Science and Engineering|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
An introduction to oscillations, waves, atomic and nuclear Physics
The aim is to introduce students to oscillations, waves, atomic and nuclear Physics.
Teaching and learning methods
24 Lectures & 11 Tutorials
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles with regard to topics covered.
Use specialist vocabulary as appropriate.
- Analyse and interpret data in diagrammatic, graphical, numerical, symbolic and verbal form.
- Adapt their knowledge to novel and unfamiliar situations
- Perform relevant calculations
Undertake on-line laboratory simulations as appropriate
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Import mathematical knowledge and skills into the study of physics.
- Analytical skills
- The ability to analyse and interpret data and information is a key skill in understanding the content of the Physics units.
- Problem solving
- A wide variety of different types of problems are used to test and develop the students' knowledge. In addition to reinforcing their understanding of specific physical concepts, students learn and practice a range of general strategies for solving problems.
- The physics taught in these units is applicable to a very broad range of disciplines and vocational areas.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||20%|
- Marked coursework tests returned (usually the following week).
- Examination scripts can be viewed by arrangement at a specified date
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||2|
|Independent study hours|
|Jonathan Sly||Unit coordinator|
80% of unit grade
2 hour unseen examination
20% of unit grade
Homework Assignments and In-Class Tests TBC