- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BEng/MEng Chemical Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Information and Communications Technology
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The course provides students with the opportunity to learn and develop advanced skills relating to technologies for accessing, transmitting and presenting information.
The aim of this course is to provide students with the opportunity to learn and develop skills relating to technologies for accessing, transmitting and presenting information.
By the end of this course unit a student will be able to:
- employ a virtual learning environment to access information and participate in online assessments
- use ‘office’ software to create documents and transfer information in an appropriate format
- evaluate online tools for researching and referencing information in the science and engineering field
- explore project management software and collaborative working tools for use in group work
- produce graphs of data using appropriate plotting software
- manipulate data sets using a typical spreadsheet package
- virtual learning environments (Blackboard)
- online learning modules and assessments
- word processing and creating pdfs
- academic malpractice
- referencing tools
- project management tools
- graph plotting and spreadsheets.
Teaching and learning methods
Online, problem-based learning. Weekly drop-in sessions.
Knowledge and understanding
|Written assignment (inc essay)||100%|
Formative feedback will be given during drop-ins and, on request, throughout the course. Targeted feedback will be given following assessments. Summative feedback will be given following assessments and marking rubrics will be visible to students where applicable.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Practical classes & workshops||12|
|Independent study hours|
|Simon Raw||Unit coordinator|