- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Chemical Engineering
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Sustainable Resources and Processing
|Unit level||Level 6|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The unit will introduce and develop an understanding of the concepts key to the drive towards sustainable chemical production and the switch a circular economy model.
1. Appraise chemical feedstocks in the context of sustainability and a circular economy
2. Design chemical processes that reduced waste generation during production and at their end-of-life.
3. Propose alternative sustainable chemical products to conventional petrochemical ones.
4. Develop sustainable chemical production pathways based on alternative solvents, technologies, and catalysis.
5. Evaluate and analyse chemical products and processes to identify and quantify sustainability improvement.
Teaching and learning methods
The unit makes use of three main types of learning and teaching sessions delivered using a blended approach:
- Lecture sessions - synchronous and asynchronous content online and face-two-face
- Tutorial/online exercises and problem solving sessions
- Drop-in discussion sessions
All materials are available via the e-learning platform of Blackboard, including lecture notes, lecture podcasts, and sample solutions to the tutorial exercises. Communications outside of the scheduled teaching slots also make use of the Blackboard platform.
Weighting within unit (if relevant)
Exam style assessment
All reading lists now must be managed through the library tool at: https://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/using-the-library/staff/reading-lists/
|Christopher Parlett||Unit coordinator|
|Arthur Garforth||Unit coordinator|