Welfare and advice

At Manchester, parents and supporters can be assured that we are just as concerned about your son or daughter’s well-being as we are about their academic studies and performance.

That’s why we have a range of welfare services in place to ensure that advice, guidance and practical support is available when needed.

Staff support

Academic advisers

Every student is appointed an academic adviser within their academic School. The academic adviser’s primary role is academic support, but they can also signpost students to sources of help and advice for more personal problems. 

Many Schools also have a Student Support Office or provide this function via their School offices. Schools inform students about this during their induction and through their handbooks.

Residential life officers and residential life advisers in halls of residence

Pastoral care in halls of residence is led by a team of residential life officers. Residential life officers are members of staff within the university and hold substantive roles.

Each residential life officer has specific responsibility for residential communities and they live on-site among the students. Residential life officers lead teams of residential life advisers, each of whom has specific responsibility for a small part of the hall.


Our Counselling Service provides confidential counselling for any student who has personal problems affecting their work or wellbeing.

As well as one-to-one counselling, this service also runs specialist groups and workshops on specific problems such as exam stress.

Peer support

Sometimes students prefer to talk to other students about issues that they feel their peers are more likely to understand.

Students’ Union Advice Service

This student-run service can offer students practical and confidential advice and support on a variety of topics, from dealing with landlords to personal and academic issues; from student loans and financial problems to safety and security.

The centre is staffed with provisional advisors working alongside members of the Students’ Union Executive Committee.


Manchester Nightline is a listening and information telephone service operated by students, for students. Students who volunteer as advisers undergo a comprehensive training programme covering all the skills needed to work there.

It offers support for students every night during term time, from 8pm to 8am. 


We urge all new students upon arrival in Manchester to register with a GP and dentist close to their accommodation. Staff within our Accommodation Office, the Students’ Union, or Student Occupational Health will be able to advise students of their nearest GP. Information about finding a GP is also provided to students as part of their pre-arrival information and our Welcome Week Fair. 

Our University does not have a GP practice, but Student Occupational Health offers advice on issues relating to University life, work and general medical advice. Medical staff based there can assist with emergency cases of a sudden illness on campus, vaccinations, medical examinations, health promotion and general nursing procedures.

Emergency dental cases can be dealt with at our University’s Dental Hospital, which is open to the general public.

Religious support

Our campus has a number of religious centres and places of worship. We have two chaplaincy centres for the major Christian churches on campus. One provides chaplains for the Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, and United Reformed churches, and the other for Roman Catholics.

Our campus also has facilities for Jewish worship and an Islamic Prayer Centre. There are places of worship for students of other faiths in the locality of the University.

There is also a multi-faith Chaplaincy for Manchester universities which welcome people of all faiths and none, offering pastoral support and religious guidance.

Disability support

Our Disability Support Office (DSO) coordinates support for students with additional support needs arising from a medical condition, disability, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia. Staff aim to provide a friendly, relaxed service and are happy to deal with any enquiries from students or parents.

DSO activities include:

  • ­a full assessment of disabled students' academic and IT requirements;
  • ­assisting with applications for the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA);
  • ­liaising with other members of University staff in academic areas and central services;
  • ­organising support workers;
  • ­running a study-skills room containing a range of specialist equipment;
  • ­delivering disability training to staff and students.

DSO staff are on hand at open days to discuss support needs with prospective students. Alternatively, applicants can make arrangements to meet and talk with them independently.