MA Social Work / Overview

Year of entry: 2019

Degree awarded
24 months (FT)
Entry requirements

We normally require you to have an Upper Second class degree or above. This can be in any subject area. Relevant employment and/or personal experience within a health or social care setting is highly desirable.

If you have a Lower Second classification degree, your application will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on your experience.

Students must also have GCSE Mathematics and GCSE English grade C by the start of the course.

We do not accept qualifications at level 2 as equivalents to GCSE English or Maths, and will only consider international and pre-GCSE qualifications as equivalents.

Full entry requirements

Number of places/applicants

48 places

How to apply

Apply through UCAS . We are still accepting applications. 

Applications made directly to the University will not be considered.

Course options

Full-time Part-time Full-time distance learning Part-time distance learning

Course overview

  • Gain a nationally and internationally recognised professional social work qualification and become eligible to register as a qualified social worker with the HCPC.
  • Bursary of £1,000 offered to home students.
  • A number of NHS bursaries are also available.
  • Study at the UK's sixth best university (2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities).
  • Learn through methods involving service users, carers and current social work practitioners.
  • Gain practical experience during 170 days of high-quality placements through our membership of the Greater Manchester Social Work Academy.
  • Learn from teaching staff who actively undertake research in health and social care.
Careers in Social Work

Open days

The best way to find out what it's like to study at Manchester is by visiting us on one of the University's postgraduate open days . The open days include information/Q&A sessions for this course, as well as campus tours and the opportunity to meet staff and students on the course.


For entry in the academic year beginning September 2019, the tuition fees are as follows:

  • MA (full-time)
    UK/EU students (per annum): £9,500
    International students (per annum): £18,500

£8,500 for home students who will be awarded a £1,000 School bursary.

The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.

All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.

Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1,000 towards their tuition fees before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.

Additional expenses

Travel costs for placements during the programme across Greater Manchester and the wider north west region can be expensive and should be included in your cost calculations. The Transport for Greater Manchester website can help you estimate possible public transport travel costs to different sites.

Policy on additional costs

All students should normally be able to complete their programme of study without incurring additional study costs over and above the tuition fee for that programme. Any unavoidable additional compulsory costs totalling more than 1% of the annual home undergraduate fee per annum, regardless of whether the programme in question is undergraduate or postgraduate taught, will be made clear to you at the point of application. Further information can be found in the University's Policy on additional costs incurred by students on undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes (PDF document, 91KB).


The University of Manchester is keen to support high quality education for social workers by offering home students a £1,000 bursary reducing the standard postgraduate fee for MA Social Work from £9,500 p.a. to £8,500 p.a . If you are an international student, please follow this link for information about fees.

In addition to this saving, a number of bursaries are available through the NHS. For 2019/20, this consists of £4052 towards tuition fees and a £3,362 grant . *Subject to change, conditions apply. These bursaries are primarily for home students and will be for both years of study.

Further information about these bursaries is available on the NHS Business Service Authority website. Postgraduate students who do not receive NHS bursaries can also apply for  student loans  to support their study.

Should students be in receipt of a bursary they will, at the point of registration, be expected to pay to the University any difference between tuition fees and the bursary contribution. Applicants should apply for a bursary when they accept our offer of a place on the course (either firm or insurance).

Please note that international applicants and those normally resident in Wales, Scotland, Northern and Southern Ireland are not eligible to receive a bursary.

The Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health offers an alumni bursary of £1,000 towards tuition fees for successful applicants who are commencing one of our postgraduate taught Master's programmes.

Contact details

Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
+44 (0)161 306 7604
Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health

Courses in related subject areas

Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.

Regulated by the Office for Students

The University of Manchester is regulated by the Office for Students (OfS). The OfS aims to help students succeed in Higher Education by ensuring they receive excellent information and guidance, get high quality education that prepares them for the future and by protecting their interests. More information can be found at the OfS website.

You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Manchester, including our Degree Regulations and Complaints Procedure, on our regulations website.