MA Social Work / Entry requirements

Year of entry: 2024

Academic entry qualification overview

We normally require you to have an Upper Second class honours degree or above. This can be in any subject area. Relevant employment and/or personal experience within a health or social care setting is highly desirable.

If you have a Lower Second classification degree, your application will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on your experience.

You must also have GCSE English grade C/4 by the start of the course.

We do not accept other Level 2 qualifications as equivalent to GCSE English (eg Functional Skills) and will only consider specific international qualifications as equivalents.

English language

International students must demonstrate English proficiency through a secure and approved testing system.

We ask for English language proof if you are from non-majority English speaking countries (a list of majority English speaking countries, as defined by the UK Home Office, can be found at ).

Specifically, we require a minimum of:

  • IELTS overall score of 7 or above with no element below 6.5, or
  • TOEFL minimum of 600 (paper-based); 250 (computer-based); 100 (internet-based), or
  • GCSE English grade C (a Grade 4 in the newly reformed GCSEs in England) or above, or
  • evidence of equivalent learning that is accepted by the University.

See further information about requirements for your country .

English language test validity

Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.

Relevant work experience

We require relevant work experience in a voluntary or employed capacity.

This might include work with social welfare and community groups, children or young people, people of later life, people with a disability, or those experiencing mental health problems.

It may also include working in fields such as domestic abuse, sexual abuse, counselling or citizen's advice, family support and befriending.

Your experience may also be in residential, hospice or supported living, youth work, nursing, working as a carer, working on help lines, among other areas.