MSc Marketing / Course details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Alliance Manchester Business School|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
• Development of the services sector and theories pertaining to services marketing.
• Service management, the service(s) marketing mix and service quality. Consumer behaviour issues in services. Service design. Management of relationships and customer experience.
• Research evidence from particular service industries.
• Emphasis is placed on review and evaluation of theoretical literature and key texts, published research, and both primary and secondary data available from service sector organisations.
To consider the development of theories of services marketing.
• To understand key aspects of marketing management and strategy in the services sector to include: consumer experience, elements of the marketing mix, service quality, service design and management of relationships.
• To appreciate the available research evidence pertaining to the above topics.
At the end of the module, students should be able to:
Discuss how the services sector operates in developed economies.
Define and illustrate the main components of service(s) marketing theory.
Critically appraise the way in which this theory can be practically applied in the service sector
Develop and justify alternative marketing approaches that can be used by service managers
Present material relating to the topics both verbally and in written form
Teaching and learning methods
Formal Contact Methods
Minimum Contact hours: 20
Delivery format: Lecture and Workshops
Verbally during class and via Blackboard.
Core text: Wirtz, J. and Lovelock, C. (2016), Services Marketing: People, Technology, Strategy, 8th Global Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
Bordoloi, S., Fitzsimmons, J. and Fitzsimmons, M. (2018) ISE Service Management-Operations, Strategy, Information Technology, 9th edition, London: Mc Graw Hill
Buttle, F. and Maklan, S. (2019) Customer Relationship Management: Concepts and Technologies, 4th edition, Abingdon, Routledge.
Kandampully, J. (2014) Customer Experience Management: Enhancing Experience and Value through Service Management, Kendall Hunt Publishing.
Palmer, A. (2014) Principles of Services Marketing,7th edition, London: McGraw Hill
Wilson, A.; Zeithaml, A.; Bitner, M.J.; and Gremler, D.G. (2016) Services Marketing, Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm, 3rd European edition, London: Mc Graw Hill
- The Journal of Service Research
- The Journal of Services Management
- The Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- The Journal of Services Marketing
- Journal of Marketing
- Industrial Marketing Management
- Journal of Business Research
- Marketing Theory
- European Journal of Marketing
- Journal of Marketing Management
- Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services
- The Services Industries Journal
- International Journal of Service Industry Management
- Journal of Financial Services Marketing
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||2|
|Independent study hours|
|Andrew Burton||Unit coordinator|
|Ilma Chowdhury||Unit coordinator|
Informal Contact Method
Students can contact the course coordinator by email, or by dropping in during the Office Hours which are notified in advance