MSc Marketing / Course details
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Marketing in a Digital World
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Over the last years, marketing has seen significant developments. New technologies and web 2.0 changed the way customers discover, evaluate, and purchase products and services. Online ads are the new billboards, podcasts are the new radio, and everything is powered by AI. Consumers live, work, connect, relax, learn, and purchase products/services in digitally. Digital marketing offers many possibilities, by using numerous digital tactics and channels to connect with customers where they spend much of their time: online. Effective digital marketing is now non-negotiable for organizations that want to be where their customers are.
This module aims to develop a critical understanding of the role of digital marketing in modern organisations. This course unit aims to familiarise students with the ways marketers make decisions and act in a digitalised world. The curriculum of this unit is purposefully designed to develop marketing leaders in a digital world, whether “digital” is in the desired job title or not. Specifically, the course unit will familiarize students with the technologies which make digital marketing possible, the relationship between digital marketing and the wider organisation, the key issues in the development and implementation of digital marketing strategies. The students will explore a range of digital marketing tools and tactics including content marketing, display advertising, digital video, search engines, social media, mobile, email, content marketing, and more.
Knowledge and understanding
• (ILO1) Demonstrate knowledge and clear understanding of how the Internet and other platforms support digital marketing
• (ILO2) Develop a clear understanding of the nature and scope of digital marketing in modern business organizations
• (ILO3) Demonstrate a critical appreciation of the importance, and limitations, of business models in digital marketing strategy
• (ILO3) Critically evaluate a company’s business needs and develop digital marketing recommendations that fulfil those needs.
• (ILO4) Critically assess the key issues in the development and implementation of digital marketing strategy
• (ILO5) Analyse and evaluate the development and execution of digital campaigns
• (ILO6) Recognize a variety of digital tools and applications
• (IOL7) Comprehend owned, paid, and earned media and identify key players in the digital media ecosystem.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
• (ILO8) Effectively communicate digital marketing concepts Develop a data driven decision-making mindset.
• (ILO10) Create an understanding of different business contexts in a digital world
• The Internet and the World Wide Web. Why digital matters?
• Changes in the digital environment that a marketer has to be aware of
• The digital persona and customers’ journey
• The impact of digital on marketing mix and on value proposition
• Creating innovative and impactful digital content
• Planning and creating a website
• Objectives and Key Performance Indicators in a digital world (e.g., Reach, Conversions, Traffic, Awareness, Engagement)
• Developing Digital Marketing Strategies
• Implementation of strategies in a digital world: Search Engine (i.e., SEO, SEM, PPC) and Social Media Marketing (earned and paid)
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures – Lecture will be used to develop a solid understanding of theoretical concept and existing body of knowledge.
Seminars – Activities will be set up to encourage critical discussion of the theoretical concepts presented during the lecture.
Individual Coursework Assignment 100%
Feedback will be provided on BB within 15 working days
Chaffey, D., & Ellis-Chadwick, F. (2022). Digital marketing: strategy, implementation & practice. Pearson, UK.
Chaffey, D., Smith, P. (2008) eMarketing eXcellence. Planning and optimizing your digital marketing. San Diego: Butterworth Heinemann.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|