MA Political Science - European Politics & Policy Pathway (Standard Route)

Year of entry: 2024

Course unit details:
The European Union: Politics and Policy Making

Course unit fact file
Unit code POLI70381
Credit rating 15
Unit level FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree
Teaching period(s) Semester 1
Available as a free choice unit? Yes


The course unit aims to:

  • enhance students’ knowledge of the European Union and their ability to critically analyse and evaluate its institutions and policies
  • familiarise students with the main conceptual debates surrounding the European Union’s policy making    
  • provide in-depth knowledge on a number of important policy areas of the European Union. 
  • assist students to improve their oral and written communication skills

Learning outcomes

On completion of this unit successful students will be able to demonstrate:

  • how the European Union is governed;
  • a knowledge of EU policy-making in areas of contemporary importance;
  • key analytical and theoretical skills for understanding the institutions of the European Union and European Union policy-making.
  • ability to pursue independent study and learning and improvement of oral and written analytical skills

Teaching and learning methods

Teaching will take place in 10 weekly sessions. These will include a combination of short lectures and group discussions hosted by the lecturer. Students will be assigned preparatory questions to consider from the reading each week

Assessment methods

A 3000 word essay will be 75% of the mark; the remaining 25% is for short weekly discussion board posts.  

Recommended reading



Cini, M. and Perez-Solorzano Borragan, N. European Union Politics (6th Edn), 2019


Institutions and Policy Making


Dinan, D., Nugent, N. and Paterson, W. The European Union in Crisis, 2017

Nugent, N. The Government and Politics of the EU (8th Edn), 2017

Wallace, H. Pollack, M. and Young, A. Policy-Making in the European Union (7th Edn), 2014    

Study hours

Scheduled activity hours
Seminars 20
Independent study hours
Independent study 130

Teaching staff

Staff member Role
Daniel Silver Unit coordinator

Additional notes



Return to course details