MSc Management and Information Systems: Change and Development (Distance Learning) / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Human Resource Practice
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Global Development Institute|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
1. Human Resource Planning
4. Employee Relations
6. Job Reduction
7. Emerging Issues
8. Decentralizing HR practice
' To provide a practical overview of the key areas of human resource (HR) practice at organization level.
- To develop a critical awareness of the possibilities and problems of using HR techniques and 'best practice' in organizations in specific countries.
After completing the course unit students should be able to:
- Outline a range of HR/Personnel activities and specify how they are designed and used.
- Analyse the specific context in which HR practice takes place in organizations.
- Adapt generic HR techniques for use in different settings.
Teaching and learning methods
Distance Learning Mode including weekly online tutorials
One 3,500 word essay (90%)
Participation in 6/8 tutorial topics (10%)
Re-sit Assessment: One 3,500 word essay (100%)
Course unit textbook
Torrington, D., L. Hall and S. Taylor (2008) Human Resource Management, (seventh edition) Prentice Hall.
|Independent study hours|
MGDI Programmes on which course unit is offered:
MSc Human Resource Management and Development (via Distance Learning) and MSc Management and Information Systems: Change and Development (via Distance Learning)