MSc Medical Microbiology / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2019
Academic entry qualification overview
We require an honours degree (minimum Upper Second) or overseas equivalent in:
- medical laboratory sciences
- biomedical sciences
- veterinary medicine
- other biology degrees incorporating substantial human biology and, ideally, an element of microbiology.
Non-standard applicants for the course will be considered on an individual basis, but may be required to enrol initially on the PGDip course.
This course is also available for intercalating medical students, both from the University of Manchester and other UK universities, upon completion of their third year. For St Andrews students, this includes the three-year course plus the following one or two years spent in Manchester. Intercalating medical students need to have passed all assessments at first attempt (if they are third year) or have no fails in third year if they are fourth year.
International applicants from non-majority English speaking countries must demonstrate English proficiency through a secure and approved testing system.
We ask for English language proof if you are from non-majority English speaking countries (a list of majority English speaking countries, as defined by the UK Home Office, can be found here ).
Specifically, we require a minimum of:
- IELTS : 6.5 overall with 6.0 in writing
- TOEFL: 90 internet-based (with 20 in writing)
See further information about requirements for your country .
We may also accept evidence of a confirmed place on a University Pre-sessional English language course if your current IELTS scores are:
- Minimum 6.0 overall with 6.0 in writing plus enrolment and attendance on the 6-week pre-sessional course (PS6)
- Minimum 5.5 overall with 5.5 in writing plus enrolment and attendance on the 10-week pre-sessional course (PS10)
We must approve this before you apply for the English course.