MSc Environmental Impact Assessment & Management / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Local Economic Development
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Planning and Environmental Management|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
- Introduction to local economic development
- Concepts and theories of local economic development
- Governing local economic development
- Interventions, instruments and mechanisms for delivering local economic development
- Techniques for assessing and evaluating local economic development
- Case studies of local economic development: principles and critiques
- To introduce students to the principles of local economic development and the workings of local economies,
- To examine the governance of local economic development and to assess interventions.
- Introduce students to some of the techniques and methods used to analyse local economies,
Examine specific aspects and features of local economic development and to understand how these elements interact and contribute to the processes of economic development in different contexts.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, seminars and fieldtrips
Knowledge and understanding
Be familiar with the concepts and functions of local economic development, and the application of specific tools of analysis
Be able to critique the main rationale for intervention in local economic activity, and to assess the strengths and weaknesses of different local economic development measures
Be able to reflect on and critique the appropriateness of particular measures for varied local circumstances and range of economic problems.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
Developed analytical assessment skills to understand local economic problems and opportunities and to communicate findings concisely through written and verbal means.
Group Presentation (15 minutes) 30%
Individual Essay (2500 words) 70%
Written feedback within 15 working days of submission
Blair, J.P. and Carroll, M.C. (2009) Local Economic Development: Analysis, Practices, and Globalization. London, Sage.
Nolan, A. (2004) Evaluating Local Economic and Employment Development: how to assess what works among programmes and policies. Paris, OECD.
Pike, A., Rodriguez-Pose, A. and Tomaney, J. (2006/2016) Local and Regional Development. Oxon, Routledge.
Pike, A., Rodriguez-Pose, A. and Tomaney, J. (2011) Handbook of Local and Regional Development. Oxon, Routledge.
Journal of Local Economy. London, Sage
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Graham Haughton||Unit coordinator|