MSc Economics and Data Science / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Academic entry qualification overview
A UK 2:1 honours degree (or overseas equivalent) in economics or another quantitative subject, such as mathematics, physics or computer science. This training must include a significant number of mathematical, econometrics and/or statistical courses, including advanced options in which top-level marks have been achieved, and a solid background in a statistical programming language such as R, Python, Julia or MATLAB.
For applicants with a degree in subjects other than economics, a significant exposure to economics courses is required.
When assessing your academic record, we consider the grades you have achieved and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification.
Applicants whose first language is not English should meet the following language requirements:
- IELTS Academic test score of 7 overall, including 7 in writing with no further component score below 6.5
- TOEFL IBT 100 with 25 in writing and no further score below 22 in each section. TOEFL code for Manchester is 0757
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 76 overall, with 76 in writing and no further score below 70
Pre-Sessional English Courses
We will consider applicants who do not meet these scores but you will be required to complete a pre-sessional English language course at the University of Manchester prior to the start of the course.
To be considered for a pre-sessional English language course for this programme we require the following minimum IELTS (Academic) scores:
- 6 Week Pre-Sessional Course : IELTS 6.5 overall with 6.5 in writing and no more than one sub-skill of 6.0.
- 10 Week Pre-sessional Course : IELTS 6.0 overall with 6.0 or above in each sub-skill
If you have not yet completed your current academic study and are interested in studying a pre-sessional course, you must hold an IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test certificate to ensure that you are eligible for a separate visa for the English language course.
English language test validity
Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.
Applicants from Majority English-speaking countries
If you are a national of a majority English-speaking country (or have studied for a full bachelor's degree or higher from one of these countries) you may be exempt from submitting further evidence of English language proficiency.