Master’s student funding
Whether you're a UK, EU or international student, there are sources of funding available.
Master's funding database
Find details of student award schemes offered by the UK government, other organisations, and us.
Equity and Merit Scholarships
- Equity and Merit Scholarships are for academically excellent students who have the potential to make a significant contribution to sustainable development in their home countries but could not afford to study at Manchester without a scholarship.
- There are 30 scholarships available for students from Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Manchester Alumni Scholarship Scheme
- If you're a current or recent student at The University of Manchester and plan to start a master's course in the Faculty of Humanities or the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, you may be eligible for our Manchester Alumni Scholarship Scheme.
- The scholarships are open to international, EU and home students, and you could get up to a £3,000 reduction on tuition fees.
Cost of Living Support Fund
- The Cost of Living Support Fund awards small grants and loans to help overcome food insecurity, support with utility bills, and address any other issues arising from financial hardship and unexpected costs.
- Applications can be made all year round and are open to all students.
UK and EU schemes
- Postgraduate loans are available for eligible students studying taught and research master’s courses. The maximum loan available for courses starting in 2022/23 is £11,836 for UK students.
- The Manchester Master's Bursary – which offers 75 awards of £4,000 each – is aimed at helping home students from underrepresented groups access postgraduate education.
- Sports Scholarships offer a bespoke package to support your performance as well as sports memberships and specialist facilities, contributing to more than £9,000.
Our Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS) can advise you on external sources of funding and help with making an application, contact us by:
- Tel: +44 (0)161 275 751
- Relay UK (if you cannot hear and/or speak on the phone): 18001 then 01612757512
- Email: email@example.com
Disabled Students' Allowances
If you are from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, or are funded by a research council, you may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances for help with costs while studying. Extra support could include:
- specialist equipment;
- non-medical helpers (support worker) funding allowance;
- help towards the additional costs of travelling to your institution;
- a general allowance.