The Manchester experience
Our online and blended learning allows flexible access to a leading university education wherever you are in the world.
Jump to section:
Benefits of online learning
- Flexible study – our virtual learning environment means you can work where and when it suits you.
- Best of both worlds – blended courses offer some face-to-face teaching, so you can enjoy the Manchester experience in person.
- Develop your career – all courses result in a recognised qualification (master's degrees, postgraduate certificates/diplomas or professional accreditations).
- Convenient – tailor learning around your lifestyle and commitments, like employment or caring for a family.
- Cost-effective – you don't need to attend lectures on campus, so you'll save money on accommodation and transport, continuing to work while you study.
- Global network – you’ll join a worldwide community of learners and collaborate with professionals from across the globe.
How online learning works
Virtual learning environment
All of our courses are delivered and assessed online. Most courses will involve online tests and video tutorials to guide your learning, with coursework and assessments submitted and graded through a single online platform.
Flexible, convenient study
Online courses run for fixed and flexible durations, allowing you to pause your studies if needed. Some activities are scheduled – like meetings with your tutor – but otherwise you're free to work through the learning materials at your own convenience.
Online group working
Throughout your studies, you’ll have the chance to collaborate and network with like-minded professionals through online group work and seminars. These provide a space to discuss key subjects, share valuable learnings and reflect on workplace experiences.
The majority of learning materials used in our courses are available in digital format from the University’s library, which you’ll gain access to as soon as you enrol. Selected courses also include workbooks that you can complete online or download and keep.
Our range of teaching methods enable you to take charge of your learning. Alongside virtual sessions, you’ll take an active role in online discussions and review reading materials from the library and open access sources. You’ll also be asked to reflect on what you’ve learnt through quizzes and tutorials.
We want you to feel supported throughout your studies, regardless of where or how you choose to learn. You’ll be assigned both an academic tutor and a study advisor who will be your first points of contact for any questions, advice and feedback on your progress.
Tools and resources
Online learners at Manchester enjoy the same level of teaching and support as those on campus. You'll be a fully registered student of the University and benefit from our range of services – though you may access them in a different way to students on campus.
Study advisers provide one-to-one training on our virtual learning environment for all new students. We also have a dedicated IT Services team to help resolve any technical issues throughout the duration of your studies.
We invest heavily in technology so you can connect with staff and other students. You'll have access to interactive platforms like Blackboard and instant messaging, so you can collaborate effectively, wherever you are.
In addition to Manchester, we have four international centres in Dubai, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore that offer inspiring spaces for local students to study and collaborate through networking events.
Supporting your wellbeing
Our Student Support Team is here to help you, no matter where in the world you are based. Watch this video to find out more about the tools, help and resources we have to support your wellbeing as an online learner.