School of Arts, Languages and Cultures PhD Studentships 2023-24
Type of award
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The award covers tuition fees and a maintenance stipend (£17,668 in 2023-24). Students opting to study part -time will receive a pro-rata maintenance stipend.
Tuition fees and living allowance.
Studentships are available for 3.5 year full-time programmes. Part-time studentships are also available.
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
We will have a number of these studentships available, awarded on a competitive basis.
This award is internal.
The School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- Anthropology, Media and Performance
- Arab World Studies
- Art History and Visual Studies
- Arts Management and Cultural Practices
- Chinese Studies
- Classics and Ancient History
- East Asian Studies
- English Literature, American Studies and Creative Writing
- French Studies
- German Studies
- Humanitarianism and Conflict Response
- Institute for Cultural Practices
- Italian Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Linguistics and English Language
- Middle Eastern Studies
- Religions and Theology
- Russian and East European Studies
- Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
- Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies
Applicants must hold or expect to achieve a Masters-level qualification, which we would expect to be at distinction level, or equivalent, and have a first-class Honours degree (or non-UK equivalent).
This funding is available to all nationalities.
Other eligibility criteria
- MPhil students are not eligible to apply for this studentship.
- Current PhD students are not eligible to apply for this studentship.
Applicants must apply using the School funding application form. Please submit the online application for a place on your chosen doctoral programme in the School by 13 January 2023 at the latest. All supporting documentation, including references, must be submitted by that date. Please submit the completed School funding application form by 5pm GMT, Friday 3 February 2023 , at the latest to email@example.com . Please note that this is a strict deadline and applications received after 5pm will not be included in the competition.
Required documentation is as follows:
- School funding application form
- Research proposal
- Degree certificates and transcripts
Applications will be ranked according to two key criteria: academic track-record, and the quality of the research proposal.
The School of Arts, Languages and Cultures studentship committee.
03 Feb 2023
All SALC PhD studentship applications must be received by the School by 5pm GMT, Friday 3 February 2023 .Please note that this is a strict deadline and applications received after 5pm will not be included in the competition
Contact details for enquiries
- Miss Rachel Corbishley
Postgraduate Admissions Administrator