Research staff: 64
Research postgraduates: 195
The Department is the largest academic Materials focus in Europe, with more than 60 academic staff and around 700 students.
The research and training opportunities offered within the Department, encompass an exceptional breadth of activities from design and development to performance and protection, and management and marketing.
The Department's activities are built on its global reputation for excellence in research and teaching, and this, together with close industrial links, provides graduates with an excellent launch pad for their future careers.
Flexibility to study full or part time and by distance learning further increases the popularity of the Department's postgraduate programmes.
A number of industry and research council funded specialist research centres have been established in the Department, providing a focus on specific research areas involving:
- Nuclear science and engineering
- Metal/polymer and composite characterisation
- Light alloys for environmentally sustainable transport
- Innovative knitted materials
- Stress and damage characterisation.
The Department attracts significant sponsorship by industry and UK and EU research councils, providing fully funded PhD studentships for suitably qualified UK and EU students.
A limited number of full and partial awards are also available for eligible international students. Bursaries are normally available for several of the Department's MSc programmes.
- Advanced Metallic Systems CDT PhD (4 years)
- Biomaterials PhD/MPhil
- Biomaterials MSc by Research (1 year)
- Coatings and Ceramics PhD/MPhil
- Coatings and Ceramics MSc by Research (1 year)
- Fashion Management and Marketing PhD/MPhil
- Fashion Management and Marketing MSc by Research (1 year)
- Fusion Energy CDT Materials PhD (4 years)
- Imaging and Characterisation PhD/MPhil
- Imaging and Characterisation MSc by Research (1 year)
- Materials PhD/MPhil
- Materials MSc by Research (1 year)
- Metallurgy and Corrosion PhD/MPhil
- Metallurgy and Corrosion MSc by Research (1 year)
- Nano and Functional Materials PhD/MPhil
- Nano and Functional Materials MSc by Research (1 year)
- Polymers and Composites PhD/MPhil
- Polymers and Composites MSc by Research (1 year)
- Textiles and Apparel PhD/MPhil
- Textiles and Apparel MSc by Research (1 year)