Our Department of Materials is the largest academic materials focus in Europe. The research and training opportunities offered within the Department, encompass an exceptional breadth of activities from design and development to performance and protection, and management and marketing.
The Department's activities are built on its global reputation for excellence in research and teaching, and this, together with close industrial links, provides graduates with an excellent launch pad for their future careers.
Flexibility to study full or part time and by distance learning further increases the popularity of the Department's postgraduate programmes.
Start your postgraduate research journey today
Visit our dedicated Science and Engineering postgraduate research page where you can browse projects built on your research passion in materials, find a supervisor that shares your vision and discover how your research could be fully funded.
- Advanced Biomedical Materials CDT PhD
- Advanced Metallic Systems CDT PhD (4 years)
- Biomaterials PhD/MPhil
- Biomaterials MSc by Research (1 year)
- Coatings and Ceramics PhD/MPhil
- Coatings and Ceramics MSc by Research (1 year)
- Fashion Management and Marketing PhD/MPhil
- Fashion Management and Marketing MSc by Research (1 year)
- Fusion Energy CDT Materials PhD (4 years)
- Imaging and Characterisation PhD/MPhil
- Imaging and Characterisation MSc by Research (1 year)
- Materials PhD/MPhil
- Materials MSc by Research (1 year)
- Metallurgy and Corrosion PhD/MPhil
- Metallurgy and Corrosion MSc by Research (1 year)
- Nano and Functional Materials PhD/MPhil
- Nano and Functional Materials MSc by Research (1 year)
- Polymers and Composites PhD/MPhil
- Polymers and Composites MSc by Research (1 year)
- Textiles and Apparel PhD/MPhil
- Textiles and Apparel MSc by Research (1 year)