This course is unavailable through clearing
BSc Computer Science with Industrial Experience
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
LEAP Introduction to German
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||German Studies|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
This course is for absolute beginners. It introduces students to the fundamentals of German grammar, reading and writing while developing some basic communicative skills. It aims to teach students simple structures, lexis and phrases which will enable them to communicate in a limited number of common everyday situations in German-speaking countries.
The introductory course differs from LEAP German 1 in length, topics covered and learning outcomes. Both courses start at the same level (absolute beginner), but LEAP German 1 is a full-year course, and goes further and deeper into the language as it is approximately double the number of teaching hours plus double the number of self-study hours, whereas the introductory level, Introduction to LEAP German, is only one semester long (semester two).
- Pre-requisite: None.Open to students not following Honours courses in German. If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to the course unit selection guidance, which includes information about eligibility for LEAP units, on your programme structure.
- Anti-requisite: Students taking the unit for university credit as part of their degree must not have already taken the unit LEAP German 1.
FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION, INCLUDING 'HOW TO APPLY', SEE
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Handle some of the basic grammatical structures of German;
- Be able to understand and read, some familiar and daily expressions used in common everyday situations and write very simple messages.
- Communicate orally at a basic level in a limited number of common everyday situations.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1.1 of the Common European Framework.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning. Students will actively practice the language (words, phrases and grammar) in pairs and groups in class, as well as through written exercises at home. Students will also be expected to make full use of the resources and activities on the Blackboard component for this course.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
Pair and team work, focused listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
- Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.
- Week 11- Listening 10% & Written Exam 60%
- Week 12 - Oral Exam 30%
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class- based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
- Menschen A1.1, Kursbuch, Hueber Publisher, ISBN:ISBN 978-3-19-361901-3
- Menschen A1.1, Arbeitsbuch mit Audio-CD, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: ISBN 978-3-19-311901-8
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Dorit Fellner||Unit coordinator|
Students may be able to proceed to LEAP German 2 subject to:
- achieving a mark over 75%
- Agreeing to study independently the material recommended by the language tutor to reach the Common European Framework level required at the end of LEAP German 1- A1/A2
- an entry-level assessment carried out by the tutor.
* By taking this option students agree to cover the material recommended by the language tutor independently. They will be taking this at their own risk. They are not to take LEAP German 1 or ask for a refund.