- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Management (Marketing) / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Your Role in Shaping a Fairer World
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This unit invites you to consider the concepts of privilege, dominance and power, and raise self-awareness to enhance your inclusive leadership potential. The unit explores Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in a range of contexts including the workplace, research and innovation, education and health and social care. It begins with a historical overview of social reform and legal frameworks around EDI and ends by providing you with the tools and frameworks to begin looking at your own role in driving EDI as inclusive future leaders. It is a unit that has been requested by the student body and draws on university-wide and external interdisciplinary expertise.
The unit aims to equip you with Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) based knowledge, skills and attributes, which are fundamental to employability and effective working within our global and interconnected world. It will empower you to take personal responsibility for promoting inclusive approaches to study and work, both here at Manchester and in your future lives and careers.
On successful completion of the unit you will be able to:
- Define the key interlinked concepts, theories, policy and regulatory frameworks that underpin EDI
- Recognise different cultural and personal perspectives
- Analyse EDI issues in different organisations, sectors and societies
- Evaluate and discuss the causes of inequalities and drivers for diversity and inclusion
- Critically evaluate theoretical arguments and real life EDI case studies
- Identify barriers and enablers to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Analyse your own values, beliefs and codes of behaviour that may lead to bias and discrimination
Module 1: EDI: Where History, Law and Politics Meet
You will look at a historical overview of social reform and legal frameworks supporting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. You will consider all of the protected characteristics as well as wider equality issues and discriminatory factors.
Module 2: EDI in the Workplace
You will examine workplace inequality and explore barriers and enablers of equality, and wellbeing in the workplace. You will also explore bullying, sexual harassment and stress, and strategies to counter them.
Module 3: EDI in Research and Innovation
You will explore biases and inequalities throughout the research lifecycle and innovation pipeline and look at best practices to ensure future research and innovation is accessible.
Teaching and learning methods
This unit will be delivered online via Blackboard. There will be student support through discussion forums and virtual 'drop-in' sessions. Modules will adopt a highly interactive approach including quizzes, videos and case studies and will draw on current policy, best practice examples and the research evidence base, allowing you to evaluate diverse perspectives and hear from leading researchers and practitioners in the field.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||20%|
- Online end of module assessments (20%)
- 500 word short individual assessment (20%)
- 500 word critique of newspaper article or journal (20%)
- 1500 word essay (40%)